Location Sydney, Australia
Services Buliding services engineering, sustainable design, hydraulic, fire engineering, solar systems design, embedded network design, security and communications
Architect Hames Sharley
Imagery © AMP
The redevelopment of this popular shopping destination is designed to celebrate food and art culture of Sydney’s Inner West and reflect the industrial heritage of the area. Taking over a disused warehouse across the road from the centre, it will transform into a fresh food space with al fresco and indoor dining. Opened in 1987, the Marrickville Metro Shopping Centre was developed from a major woollen mills factory run by the Vicars family.
Construction has kicked off on Marrickville Metro Shopping Centre’s $142 million development in January 2019. Located at 13-55 Edinburgh Road, the redevelopment will see the existing Metro centre extended to 33,000m² from 22,000m², with its footprint spanning to the south between Smidmore and Edinburgh Roads. Around 44 new retail outlets will be added to the centre and up to 600 jobs will be created.
Cundall is providing building services engineering (mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, fire services, security and communications), solar system design, Embedded Network ICN network, and sustainable design.
The design was also delivered in full REVIT solution with exposed services.
The design has included a number of key initiatives when compared with the existing centre including:
- Improving daylight, transparency and outlook.
- Exposed ceiling throughout and hence the ceiling services will be a feature embedded with fabric of the building.
- 450 kW of solar system injecting approximately 650 Mwh of power into the embedded network of the building.
- Integration of new centre with the existing centre so it can operate as a single centre.
- Provision of Integrated communication Network so the services are connected by fibre system.
- Recycling of rainwater system to resupply to the water to building cooling system.
- Creating a permeable frontage to Smidmore Street for indoor/outdoor dining.
- A service integrated with building aesthetic to ensure that it relates to the character of Marrickville.
- Comprises three 1MW chilled water screw chillers with associated cooling towers.
Cundall will be delivering a robust, low energy design with a strong emphasis on daylight, natural ventilation and thermal comfort.
The centre is also seeking 4 Star NABERS Retail Energy & Water certification.