Liv Apartments by Defence Housing Australia (DHA) is a contemporary new apartment development comprising three uniquely designed buildings located in the new East Side of Fremantle, Western Australia. It will feature 166 one, two and three bedroom apartments and approximately 1,300m² of commercial space including DHA’s own Western Australian office, as well as landscaped courtyards with edible gardens for the residents plus cafes and restaurants.
Cundall was engaged by DHA to provide ESD and Green Star consultancy. The building is targeting 4 Star Green Star equivalency under the Multi-Unit Residential tool and is currently registered for the One Planet Living (OPL) Program.
One Planet Living is a green communities framework based on the ten principles of living using the resource of one planet covering areas such as carbon, waste, transport, food and water. Cundall is developing a One Planet Action Plan for Liv Apartments to achieve accreditation under the program.
The development incorporates a number of sustainability initiatives under the Green Star equivalency and One Planet Program;
- Health and Happiness – Communal area and events to foster social interaction and community engagement
- Equity and Local Economy – Preference for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) for retail
- Culture and Community – ‘Place maker’ engaged to develop events and activities to encourage community engagement and cultural activities during operation
- Land and Nature – Increased biodiversity of site
- Sustainable Water – Native landscaping and xeriscape
- Local and Sustainable Food – Edible garden
- Travel and Transport – Active transport facilities and special emphasis on sustainable transportation modes
- Materials and Products – Embodied energy of materials considered and reuse of materials (brick, timber and steel) where possible
- Zero Waste – Dehydrating unit for retail food waste (by product potentially reused on gardens)
- Zero Carbon Energy – Energy efficient façade (7.5 star NatHERS average min 6.0 star vs. 6.0/5.0 for compliance), roof mounted photovoltaics, 100% GreenPower for electricity. Energy saving inclusions like ceiling fans and water and energy efficient fittings and fixtures
These initiatives are expected to reduce household bills and energy consumption at the apartment development and limit cost to occupants, property owners and facility managers over the property lifetime.
For further details on this development go to www.livapartments.com.au