Cundall was appointed by Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP to provide Building services engineering for their London office refurbishment. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP is a global law firm established in Los Angeles in 1890 with 18 offices throughout the United States, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and South America.
Phase one of the project encompassed the newly-built Carmelite Riverside building and phase two involved works to the Grade II listed Telephone House, which the practice has occupied for several years.
The main aspect of the project was the second phase in which we refurbished their original building, following the creation of new office and conference space to use as swing space in the adjacent new build. Commissioned in 1899 by the National Telephone Company, the Grade II listed building required surveys to ensure the buildings fabric and character were preserved.
The refurbished building was connected to the new one via a tunnel on level one and a new seven metres tall reception and entrance area was added. By taking out the first floor slab and upgrading the ventilation systems we were able to provide a new and comfortable conferencing suite on the first floor.
Cundall provided lighting design, acoustics, IT and audio visual on the project. The lighting is especially impressive, though it was value engineered and the acoustics were a big factor for the client. A new suite of meeting rooms provided the client with integrated audio conferencing, integrated and mobile video conferencing and a large flexible space to hold training sessions and client events, all controlled through re-energised user interface.
IT infrastructure was upgraded to enable the adjoining offices to share critical infrastructure, minimising cost of the new office and allowing a clear migration for the future office floor plate resizing.
A single access control platform was implemented to bring parity with international offices and leverage cost efficient remote management. A redesigned CCTV system removed onsite storage requirements and accommodated changes to the public spaces around the building.