The complex was extended more than doubled in size, and it was transformed through refurbishment into a state of the art fitness centre, attracting a substantial increase in visitors. A pool and changing village were added to the existing building, which dated back to the 1950’s.
The final layout links old to new via a bright, full height atrium containing the reception, catering and vertical circulation. This provided lift access to the upper floors of the existing building, extending the use of these facilities to all.
Unrestricted views can be enjoyed by up to 300 spectators in terraced seating along side the new six lane pool. Parents can watch their children enjoying swimming lessons from the comfort of the link and café area, through panoramic windows linking the two areas.
Project costs were reduced through minimising the cart-away requirements, optimised by the use of 3D ground modeling and reusing the existing drainage system where appropriate.
It was considered that the site could accommodate the likely increase in trips generated by the development. The existing site presented challenges for pedestrian and cycle access, which were identified and addressed as part of the proposals.
Planning conditions were discharged through the use of advanced drainage systems analysis software. The new system controls the much increased discharge from the expanded car park areas and pool backwash system.