G4C (Generation for Change) Birmingham laid down a challenge for the future of the construction industry at its launch on Wednesday 7 May 2014.
The event was attended by 60 young professionals and hosted at Birmingham City University. Committee members Gemma Wilkinson of Morgan Sindall Professional Services, Jennifer Dalby of Trowers & Hamlins and Ric Bragoli of Cundall, presented its stimulating aims and exciting future programme. Rajiv Dhutia, Cundall Graduate Engineer, who helped launch G4C in Birmingham also attended the event. After the presentation, the attendees engaged in an energetic speed-networking activity where new relationships were struck right across the industry.
The launch of G4C has been supported by the Birmingham Best Practice Club, whose committee member Professor David Boyd commented, “It is really inspiring to see the energy and insight of these young professionals which, through G4C, can now be harnessed to create positive change in the whole industry”. The success of this initiative will further strengthen Birmingham’s leading position as the driving force for the industry.
G4C is an initiative across the whole of the construction industry seeking to galvanise young professionals to become the power for change; improving the way the industry functions and therefore the better built environment we provide to society. It is part of Constructing Excellence but each regional organisation is self-managed and develops its own particular agenda and events.
The G4C vision is, "To become the organisation that is the driving force for industry change, through the development and connection of the future industry leaders".
This will be done by targeting three themes:
- People - Attracting, effectively developing, connecting and retaining the necessary people required to drive change
- Sustainability - Equipping members with the necessary skills to drive the industry and wider society towards a sustainable future
- Asset outcomes - Supporting the industry’s transformation from process driven to asset driven solutions aligned to client and wider society needs (focused on outcomes)
Following the success of an active group in London, the Birmingham G4C Group is being developed through the Birmingham Best Practice Club and is targeting:
- Networking for personal and project benefits
- Promoting the industry to Schools
- Supporting the industry and businesses in Birmingham and the West Midlands
- Learning about developments
- Discussing and commenting on policy, initiatives and approaches
- Developing new agendas for change
The next event is a wine tasting evening on Thursday 19th June, for more information get in touch on the Linkedin Group – G4C, Birmingham, West Midlands.