Have you registered for BREEAM assessments?
BRE Global has updated BREEAM UK New Construction 2011 and launched the 2014 version of the scheme on 27 May.
What you need to do and how Cundall can help
- Check that all the BREEAM assessments you are currently working on have been registered with the BRE.
- For any potential BREEAM assessments, please note that you will need to register them by 30 June 2014 if you would like the projects assessed under the 2011 standard.
- After the 30 June 2014, unless there is evidence of a substantive contractual requirement, the BRE will only accept registrations under the BREEAM UK New Construction assessment scheme 2014.
Key changes to BREEAM 2014:
- Green Lease/Green Building Guide requirements are removed from tenants requirements. Developers can now assess the shell/shell and core elements only independent of what the fit-out might be. This means the Developer does not need to consider or place any obligation on a future tenant.
- The tenant is free to choose whether their fit-out is assessed independently or not.
- Energy weighting have been changed so it receives less credits.
- There is a shift towards greater consideration of materials and adaption for climate change.
- Thermal comfort credit is now more difficult as it is now based on TM 52 (adaptive thermal comfort) which is a more demanding criteria.
- A general restructuring of credits with an increase requirement for reports and support analysis.
Please note the following:
- Closure of the BREEAM Fire Stations and BREEAM Forestry Commission Visitor Centres 2008 schemes will close for registrations on 30 June 2014.
- From 1 July 2014 onwards, registration fees are to increase from £120 to £195 +VAT per project.
- From 1 July 2014 onwards, the BRE total certification fee for UK Non-Domestic and International scheme will increase by approx. 16%.
- All current BREEAM 2008 assessments must be completed and certified by 30 June 2016; if the assessment is submitted after this date under BREEAM offices 2008 then it will be charged the certification fee at time of submission and will receive a certificate with an expired disclaimer.
Cundall would be happy to discuss the changes of the scheme or help you register under each version. For further information, please contact:
Kavita Kumari: +44 207 438 1683 or email@example.com
Newcastle & Edinburgh
Mariana Trusson: +44 131 524 3505 firstname.lastname@example.org
Riccardo Bragoli: +44 121 237 6883 or email@example.com
Maria-Lucia Rafael: +44 161 200 1223 firstname.lastname@example.org